Pages

Thursday, December 17, 2015

Making Medieval Head Dresses for the Princess Project

This has been one LONG and complicated project. 9 dresses, and 3 head dresses. Head dresses should technically be easier than elegant dresses, but this is me we are talking about, and as I am not really used to doing  much head wear, I am struggling just a bit. I just dyed the final 2 pieces of silk for the final ball gown, and while the fabric is soaking (it takes a really long time to wash out the loose pigment when the dye is really dark. I find soaking saves the hands.) I am working on the pattern for the coiffe.

This is the intended look:

http://www.echoppemedievale.com/upload/photos/femmes/coiffes/coiffe_medievale_moyen_age_i.jpg

I love it. I plan to do the end in cream silk, the rest of the fabric will be white cotton (way easier to work with for tiny things than silk.) I have bought some thin gold trim to give it a lattice effect, and some tiny brown seed beads to go where the gold trim crosses. Since the doll has magnetized removable ears, I will need to leave off the beads where the ears stick on.

The pattern should be simple enough. I did my first draft a little earlier today, and we're not quite there yet. I've been looking for some coiffe tutorials, and while I found one, it wasn't very helpful as it was a different style of coiffe than the example above.

Here is my first attempt. The gathering needs to extend further, and the basic shape is off, but it's a start.



No comments:

Post a Comment