Pages

Sunday, April 23, 2017

Berry, berry sweet vintage Strawberry Shortcake Dolls

I finally succumbed to the sweet berry scented charm of vintage Strawberry Shortcake.  When you first get into collecting something, it can be a little confusing as to what release is what, and when it came out. Finding a thorough resource for vintage SSC can be a little hard, at least all in one place. Maybe I just assume it is far more complicated than it is, and so I am expecting to find all this information when there really isn't much to be had after all! My first vintage doll is a clothesless, shoeless Angel Cake. She was different than the other vintage Angel Cake that came in the same bag. Her limbs are a whiter plastic, she had no holes in her feet, so my first thought was that she could possibly be a fakey. There's always fakeys for every kind of doll/toy, so it seemed a possibility. I couldn't really find any info on the subject pf knock off SSC though, beyond finally stumbling onto the Jelly Bean Lanard dolls. (Which are cute BTW, and would go perfectly in my collection.) So, I ended up posting pics of my Angel Cake next to the other doll on a facebook group where someone confirmed she is legit. Here's some pics. Mine is the taller one on the right.




You can see the differences. There is also differences with the rooting and painting of the scalp - one has white factory paint on it where the other does not. Thus my confusion. I could never find any information of the differences of the individual releases of each doll, and I would really like to know!

My Angel Cake, whitish limbs aside isn't in too terrible of shape. Her hair is pretty good, she just has some faint marks on her head and limbs which I think are just there for good. She has a slight smell still.

My next SSC purchase was a set of 2 Sweet Sleeper dolls that had been sitting in a locked case at the Flea Market for pretty much as long as I have been going to it. I didn't pay too much attention to them as I hadn't been interested in these dolls before this point. When I realized my life just wouldn't be complete without them, I made a mad dash down to the Market and bought the set for $8. They are in REALLY good shape. Here's a pic of them with their eyes closed:


Lemon Meringue still has the plastic tab attaching her hat to her head! Blueberry Muffin has some moth eaten tights and no shoes, but even still, they are in really great condition and even retain some slight scent. :D I am over the moon with these dolls. I'll need to hunt down their pets. I once found an auction that had all the Sweet Sleepers sleeping bags, but didn't go for it like I should have.

This is only the beginning of my collection. I have since added a dilapidated Strawberry Shortcake, who I really, really, love, and a Butter Cookie.

No comments:

Post a Comment