Pages

Thursday, June 18, 2015

The Joker Project Begins

I really enjoy having more than one project to bounce back and forth between. It satisfies my project ADD (or is it ADHD now?) and allows my brain to process projects while I am not immediately working on them.

This week I have started working on drafting the patterns for the Joker project. I got this one via Den of Angels. It is for a 70cm Dollzone body. Since I just recently acquired my first Dollshe Hound (<3 <3 <3) I have a doll to work off of that is similar in size. The only real difference between the DZ and the Hound is in hip size. There is also minimal adjustments to leg and arm length - in other words, simple stuff that I can easily adjust. My buyer needs this for a con in September, and as this is a project very dear to her and a long time coming, I am thrilled to be able to help her out!

She at first wanted the Joker outfit to resemble the Asylum game. (Not familiar with it, but I saw the images.) My attempts at finding stripes in the right color was dismal (I tried - really, I looked everywhere!) so we went with a solid. She had to think about it a little bit, and settled on the more vintage Joker. Here is what we are basing it off of:



And that is a super small picture...But it provides the visual. She picked out the color twill she wanted for the suit, and also for the vest. The mustard for the shirt has been really hard. Apparently "mustard" doesn't actually exist in fabrics, and is a very misused title. I found nothing actually mustard on Fabric.com. I did find what I was lead to believe was a true mustard on Etsy. The helpful friendly seller said it was truly a mustard and even sent me pictures. After a long wait for her to mail it (9 days) it got here today, and it is NOT mustard! Its kind of funny to hear how people describe colors. I said it looked like peanut butter. A family member described it as toffee. Another said it was closer to dijon. I would say a deep, deep dijon if a mustard reference must be used. I am undecided as to what to do with the fabric. I like it, but it is not workable for this project. I don't know if I want to pursue a possible refund, or cut my losses, toss it in a fabric container, and use it for something else. (I usually find uses for whatever I buy.) So, I will just get some marigold cotton from Joann's, and be done with it. (This was something my buyer and I previously discussed should the mustard not work.)

And as luck would have it, by the time we got all the details worked out and I got the down payment, fabric.com was all out of the purple twill she wanted for the suit, and would be until July. I have plenty of time, but when something is time sensitive like going to a Con, there is no real length of time to rest on, and not having the fabric until then isn't what I wanted. Of course, I'd have to if I couldn't find it elsewhere. They had nothing at Joann's. I looked online at Hancocks (we have one here) to see if they offered it, which they did. So I went to the Hancocks we have here, and landed on a gold mine of twill colors. I found both the purple and the green she wanted, which is nice as I don't have to order either one online.

So far I have the slacks pattern drafted but have not sewn a test run. I am working on the test run of the blouse. Its so exciting to finally have the dream come true of sewing a suit on a Hound. I hadn't envisioned sewing a Joker suit, but this is awesome! Progress pics will follow as I get more done.

No comments:

Post a Comment