Pages

Sunday, October 11, 2020

Look who joined the family

 So, here I am back on Blogger after looking for much greener pastures on Wordpress. Thing is, Wordpress is a little tricky to use, for those like myself who are technologically challenged. I had forgotten that I had started a previous WordPress blog years ago that I hadn't touched in ages and it is giving me no possibility of linking the 2 accounts where I can easily switch back and forth between them. The trouble really began when I forgot my password (I swear to always write down that new password and this is what happens. Every. Single. Time. Some mistakes you learn from. Others you keep repeating!) I used to be able to sign in via my Google account but since it suddenly booted me back into my old blog, I now cannot access my new Drowning in Dolls blog. Who knows if it'll switch back or not? So, for the time being, I am locked out of that blog. 

Now that that rant is over, guess who joined my doll family yesterday? Why only the lovely vintage Miss Revlon, of course! Here's a bit of a back story....

Back in the mid 2000's I briefly had a beautiful brunette 18" Miss Revlon doll. I ended up parting with her, though it was with some reservations. I figured if I missed having one too badly, then I can always take to eBay and find myself another one.

Time went on and I would occasionally think about that doll and wonder, not only about who ended up with her and if she was loved in her new home, but also if I really should have ever sold her to begin with. "Should I get another one?" I would think. I would even look at some on eBay now and again. But that practical voice in my head that likes to criticize every new doll purchase would always talk down the greedy insatiable doll collector in me who would shriek "you need at least 6 of them!" and I would put this doll out of my mind.

A few weeks back, a booth at my favorite local Flea Market got several Miss Revlons in. When I saw them I got so excited. There she was! Right within my grasp! I looked at them and that old voice kicked in "you don't need yet another doll!" And since every one of the dolls had chopped off hair, I obediently listened and wandered off in search of more ponies, barbies or MH.

And now let's fast forward to Saturday, which at the time of my writing this, is yesterday. I woke up from an impromptu "it's the weekend so I can" mid morning nap only to suddenly come to the soul thudding realization that I just HAD to have one of those dolls, chopped off hair and all!

My confidence fueled by a quick Google search resulting in 2 interesting but not helpful in the least bit blog posts related to restoring Miss Revlon, I was off to the Flea Market! I unfortunately suffered a bit of a sprained knee just a few days ago (all in the name of rescuing my cat) so it is lucky that the booth that held the Miss Revlon dolls wasn't all the way in the back. It still took me some doing to get back there, at least for me, being a habitual speed walker. As I slowly lumbered up to the shelf I was surprised to see that only 2 dolls remained. Both were red heads with blue eyes, both wearing some sad clothing. They stood leaned into each other, and gave off an air of being really good friends. As it didn't seem right to separate them, I snatched them both up. After all, it was the morally right thing to do! One was for $15 and the other $13. The $13 one had a gouge on her nose and upper lip, the other a couple of smudges or missing spots on her eye brows. All fingers were in place and their limbs were tight. 






I decided to cut all the way across the store to look at a booth who has sold vintage and antique dolls and accessories from time to time in the hopes that I would find some shoes that would fit them. No luck, unfortunately! Regretting my decision to even bother, I hobbled up to the check out. I was so pleased with the dolls that the lady who checked me out asked if they were good finds. I told her I thought so!

Now, my plan is to reroot these lovelies. Trying to find instructions or tutorials or anything that gave me an idea on how to remove their heads was a bust. I got on Facebook and joined the Ideal doll groups that I could find and posted my inquiry on how this was to be done. A couple of people were quick to help. And now I am seriously intimidated. If either of my dolls is a later release then I will be able to avoid this bit if not, there is this big ass wing nut holding tbe head on. People do this successfully, but it does scare me a bit to have to stretch that old vinyl over it to take the head off.

We will see how it works out. For now, Peggy Sue and Marilyn (as I have named them) will just have to keep their chopped off hair until life settles down long enough for me to work on them. 

No comments:

Post a Comment