Pages

Saturday, June 14, 2014

What's wrong with Hershey's Cocoa any more?

It seems the same thing I bought back in KY tastes much different here. and I seriously doubt its my location. I am finding it extremely frustrating to bake with as it just tastes weak and chalky. I am using the same recipe I always use, with the adjustments for the altitude such as a little more baking powder and more liquid. My cakes aren't turning out dry, they are turning out chalky. My yellow cakes are normal. The only thing I can think of that could be causing this is the cocoa powder. I wonder if they are making it any differently now than they used to? I even started getting the dark chocolate cocoa, and while it is a little bit better, it just isn't chocolate-y enough. Next time I make a cake, I will try increasing the amount of cocoa. I am debating about just going with the chocolate squares to see if it gives the right flavor profile. You see, I am taking the Wilton cake decorating classes (well, I took the first and had to postpone the rest of the course until next month due to unexpected problems coming up) and I want to be sure that my cakes taste as good as they can.

I have a cake sitting un-frosted on the kitchen counter for tomorrow's decorating. I will be making my first ever homemade batch of butter cream, and I am really excited. I am going to keep practicing decorating while waiting to take the rest of the classes. It is pretty fun already, and I know it will keep getting better. I can't wait to learn how to make flowers. Might seem a little strange to like baking cakes, and to want to decorate them when I really don't want to eat them. (Partly this is due to dietary restrictions, the rest is a lack of a sweet tooth.) I just want to make these beautiful cakes I see in books and on tv. It is just another form of art I want to try. I will take some pictures of my first cake decorating adventure once it is competed tomorrow. I am hoping it turns out like it looks in my head! :P

No comments:

Post a Comment