Pages

Sunday, November 6, 2016

Ginger's 1950's Skirt and Tee

I decided to finish up Ginger's tee shirt and skirt set. Finishing up the tee took me longer than I had expected, but I got it finished up around lunch time. I worked on her circle skirt next. After I got it together, I decided to look for some inspiration pics of something to applique on the skirt, a la poodle skirts. I found a lot of cute ideas looking at actual patterns from the '50's. Along with the iconic poodle, I saw cats, flowers, fish, donkeys, dogs (other than poodles,) and even doves. Several of them, complete with a birdcage! The latter was on an adult woman's skirt, but I thought "why not?" I attempted to draw out a dove shape that resembled what I saw on the real skirt and cut one out of white felt to sew on Ginger's skirt. I lined it with tiny stitches in a tannish gold around the edge of the bird. I still need to add the eye. Besides that and the snaps, her outfit is done. And in a bad, bad need of a crinoline, slip, or something of that nature! Here's some unexciting pics of her snapped quickly outside.





Please excuse Ginger's hair. I need to glue her wig on and give it a nice brushing. In her hair is the matching scarf for her to wear either around her neck or in her hair. Right now it is simply pulling her hair back.

I really enjoyed making the circle skirt. It's simple and fairly quick, though hemming it around the bottom edge is a pain as its so curved. I plan to make her many more in this style with various appliques! I'd love to maker her one with cherries, so I will keep an eye out for the right fabric.

I  have also started on a 1950's style of coat. Right now it is getting the best of me, but I'll get it. At one point it will have to get cold here, and having a coat for Ginger will be really nice. Next in line for her is a nice dress. She's kind of my focus right now, which is fun!


No comments:

Post a Comment